Thursday 3 July 2008

Recipe: Halwa with Cheese - (Turkish: Peynirli Irmik Helvasi)


This dessert reminds me of the good old times. Not that these (present) times are that bad or that much different ... maybe I'm just getting nostalgic, because I miss Istanbul where most of my old times have passed.

Last week I tasted a different version of this dessert with cheese and it was delicious. So I tried it out myself. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
125 gr butter
500 gr semolina (Turkish: irmik; Hindi: sooji; German: Griess)
1 lt hot milk
2 cups of sugar
200 gr unsalted cheese (use a sort that melts well and you like the taste of)

Procedure:
In a pan melt the butter and add the semolina. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat while constantly stirring. Add the sugar and stir for another 2 minutes till the sugar dissolves. Add the hot milk, stir again. Take the pan from the heat, cover, and set aside to rest for 3 minutes. Add the cheese and stir till the cheese melts completely. Serve preferably warm.

p.s.: if you like Indian food you can also add some cardamom powder along with the sugar.

To feel at home I would have to share this dessert with my neighbours. But in Europe one does not have that kind of relationship with his neighbours. Even though I would love to knock at the next door where an Indian family recently moved in and would love to ask: Namaste ji, kuch sooji ka halwa lijiye? But I've never seen them before, so it would be inappropriate, right? ...

No comments: